Thank you for every ones prayers for Tysen!! For those whom do not know, Tysen was admitted into the hospital with Pneumonia! Here is the whole story....
Tysen, who has moderate to severe asthma, came home with a terrible cough about 3 weeks ago. He had no other signs of sickness so I figured this was an asthma flair up. So like usual we up-ed his dosing of inhaled steroids and started doing his relief inhaler during lunch at school and twice at home. It proceeded to get worse. Nothing would help it. I had Matt pick up a cough suppressant with chest congestion relief for him. It still didn't get better. We are now on about day 5. I called his doctor and left a message for a returned call. I never received one due to an office error and of course it was Friday!!! SO...we dealt with it all weekend. On Saturday night, just out of curiosity, I checked the dose counter on his meds and found that his inhaled steroid was COMPLETELY OUT! I did not know how long it had been out. I then figured the cough was due to not being on his meds. I refilled the script and with in 2 days the cough was 50% better. I assumed we were just not paying attention and this was his asthma.
Well was I wrong!!!! The following Friday he came home from school with a pretty bad headache. He had his Valentine's Day party earlier, so I thought this was just a sugar high. I gave him some Motrin and with in 35 minutes, he stated he felt better. Later that night, after his shower, he was SHIVERING!!! He felt cool but I checked his temp anyway. Come to find out it was 102.3. (By this time, the Motrin given earlier had worn off about 1 hour ago). All of the sudden, he started crying, "I'm gunna throw up, I'm gunna throw up!!!!!!" I took him in the bath room and there we sat for about 20 minutes toying with whether or not he was actually going to do it. It never happened. Because he felt that way, I didn't know how to get his temp down which kept raising. I ran to Walgreen's and got the Tylenol suppositories. By the time I returned he still haven't thrown up so I gave him Motrin. I alternated Tylenol and Motrin for the next day (Saturday) and night and figured he would not need it in the morning.
Sunday morning he woke up with all meds out of his system with no fever. With in a hour, he got a 102 fever with extreme abdominal pain. I then took him into the ER. They started an IV, ran some labs and did a abdominal cat-scan. Nothing showed up on any of those tests so after 8 hours, we were discharged with a "viral" stomach flu. They stated he needed to be on a clear liquid diet for the next 12 hours and if he was still not better, I need to bring him back in. I made sure to tell Ty that now he got a taste of what Trinity has to go through. (All the nurses and doctors and IV's and blood draws, etc.) He did not think that was funny!
Monday morning, he woke up with severe stomach pain. Hunched over and crying!!!! We went back to the ER. Now I thought we were playing with appendicitis. Another IV was started and after a throat culture (which he hates more than ANYTHING in the WORLD!!!) he cried out with extreme L side chest pain!!! I have never seen him in so much pain. I am already weak as it is with seeing Trinity in pain and I can do nothing for her and now Ty...I have to say I broke down too. BUT it was only when 30 minutes had gone by and he looks up at me, in severe pain, holding his L rib cage and says, "Can we just pray to God right now...I need His help...He can make this pain go away...can we just pray right now...?!?!?" I LOST IT!!!! We prayed and cried together for about 5 minutes. Looking back at it now, it was one of the sweetest things he has every said.
The doctor finally came in to re-assess him and ordered a chest xray. He then looked at me with this look and says, "Are you Italian?". I answered, "yes." He then turned toward the nurse and said he wanted some kind of smear done of his blood work. I asked him what that was for. He rambled off about this BLOOD DISORDER!!! Something like Sickle Cell Anemia but affecting Italians. I about lost it!!!! As if it isn't enough that Trinity has OI, the possibility that Tysen has something extremely wrong as well was DEVASTATING. I honestly started to shake and pace the room as Tysen continued to cry with extreme chest pain. After all said and done and about an hour with this chest pain, the doctor comes back in and says, "He has Pneumonia. It is in a really weird place in his lung. Right where he is pointing to on his L side of his chest in the middle of the L lobe. I am a little concerned that due to the oddness in where it is, that it could possibly be MRSA. An antibiotic resistant Staph infection. I am putting him on three different antibiotics and admitting him." Honestly, I was grateful to hear that. I was so glad that it wasn't that blood disorder. But then the reality set in about the Pneumonia. Who will stay with him? How will Trinity be affected? Should I be concerned about her terrible cough that sounds JUST LIKE TY's? Will he pull through and not be in the hospital long? So many questions, not very many answers.
This whole time we were in the ER, both days, Matt had Trinity. But we realized Sunday that she would NOT take a bottle anymore. She refused. He ended up bring her to me a couple of time through out the whole ordeal just to nurse her. I felt like I hadn't seen her in days!!! Well, Matt ended up staying at the hospital with Ty the first night. I was a little scared about that. (Who am I kidding...A LOT!) But I know with guidance, Matt could handle it! I was a wreck at home that night. I have never been away from Tysen when he was sick. Tysen has never been admitted to the hospital either. And with Trini being the new baby, this was all new territory for me. Tysen has been my numero uno for so many years. It was different.
Thank the Man above, Tysen was improving with flying colors!!!! He was released Tuesday night and sent home on two different antibiotics. Still not eating real well but glad to be home. I also ended up taking Trini in to get on an antibiotic to be proactive with this terrible cough just getting worse and worse. I am glad I did! I have an appointment tomorrow to get my throat looked at as it has been 4 weeks with a sore throat and a terrible taste in my mouth. So we are all on the mend. For those whom I told, Matt's surgery was cancelled due to all these sicknesses. It has been scheduled tentatively for the second week in March. I will keep everyone posted.
As of today, Thursday, I have to say Tysen is back to himself. He is joking around and being his funny little self. I must say he has been missed. Thank you for those that have prayed for my family. I know He listens intently when you do!!! It shows every single day! I thank Him so much for improving Tysen's sickness so fast. God is GOOD!!!!
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I meant to call several times last week, but somehow it was almost midnight before I realized it and we've had a few incidents ourselves this week! I'll tell you more later. I'm so glad Tysen is ok...another answered prayer I can mark off my list! I was wondering how in the world you would handle Matt having surgery with everything else. I couldn't remember when you said it was scheduled, so I wasn't sure if he actually had it before Tysen got sick.
ReplyDelete